Secondary switch?

Dober2004

Is there a secondary switch on the Atwood hot water heater? My husband and I just de-winterized our 2014 Cyclone and the HW heater doesn't seem to be working using shore power only propane. The unit was never turned on before it was filled so I know we did not burn out the element. Am I missing something?

Dober2004

Thank you so much for the link. I don't see anything in the manual about a secondary switch though. I have the main switch inside the camper on the control panel where everything else is, the second one should be outside on the heater itself? I am going to have my husband check again tomorrow (when it isn't dark), but we did not see a separate switch outside.

danemayer

I don't think the Atwood has the secondary rocker switch like the Suburban. Check for voltage at the heating element and if there is voltage, you will probably need a new heating element. If no voltage, check at the ECO/Thermostat. There's also going to be a junction box where 110V from the circuit breaker is spliced to the water heater. That'll probably be on the inside of the coach, somewhere on the water heater body.

Make sure you check the circuit breakers. Something might have tripped it. Flip it off and back on. Sometimes they look like they're on when they've actually tripped.

Subdrv

Had the same problem with our 2014 4000 no electric heating, the wire nut in the junction box on the back of the hot water heater melted. might want to look there.

Dober2004

Thanks all for the suggestions. My husband will check out all of this tonight. Hopefully it is something simple.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
There should be 2 seperate switches for your W/H. There is a switch on the monitor panel for the holding tank gauges. That switch turns on the propane/12V part of the W/H only. The one that looks like a house wall switch is strickly for the shore/120volt element. If you have not ran your stove yet...you may have air in the propane lines going to the W/H. Also, if you turn on your propane tanks to quick you can cause the valve at the tank to think there's a propane leak and it will shut off flow to anything. Have your DH turn off both propane tanks and sloooowly turn them back on. Lite the burners on stove to purge all the air out.

danemayer

Where are the circuit breakers on the bighorn. Hope you know.

Hi Johemlee,

In most cases, the circuit breaker panel is at floor level, a little forward of mid-trailer. Often it's going to be on the front kitchen wall. Could be inside a cabinet. But it varies by floor plan. What do you have?