What's your favorite carry weapon?

Wmnmy

Colt model 1911, the best all around there is!!

I have to differ i just switched my H&K for my Springfield 1911 it is dead on accurate but then again any 1911 will do in the right hands still use glock 40 and 19 off duty shotgun with birdshot and bean bag rounds in trailer

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I an looking to get my CHL from the local VFW Post next month. I have been reading and looking at different handguns. I like the Glock 26 which is a 9mm. A Glock 27 is a 40cal. Did I read right that if I bought a Glock 26 Gen 4 which is a 9mm but I can also buy a 40cal barrel and use it on the same frame??

When you have your handgun with you where/how do you carry it. In the back, in a pocket, on your belt... Some states allow you to carry it on your belt at your side open???

BC

alex00

I an looking to get my CHL from the local VFW Post next month. I have been reading and looking at different handguns. I like the Glock 26 which is a 9mm. A Glock 27 is a 40cal. Did I read right that if I bought a Glock 26 Gen 4 which is a 9mm but I can also buy a 40cal barrel and use it on the same frame??

When you have your handgun with you where/how do you carry it. In the back, in a pocket, on your belt... Some states allow you to carry it on your belt at your side open???

BC

Bob, I am by no means a Glock expert. I only recently made the switch. My next handgun will be a G26, since I carry the G34 as my duty weapon. I like the idea of one common magazine from my belt fitting either gun. I don't know anything about the barrel switch, though. I personally switched from 40cal to 9mm to have more available rounds and quicker follow up shots.

As to where and how to carry, that will depend largely upon personal choice, and perhaps on state laws. Some states may limit you to only carrying on your person, while stashing in the glovebox is not allowed. I am unaware of any states that dictate where on your body you will carry, but many states regulate open carry vs. concealed carry.

For me, the size of my CCW gun plays a major role in where I carry. I carry a .380 in my pocket when I'm wearing shorts, or need to tuck a shirt in. I carry a .357 revolver or full size auto on my strong side belt if I am wearing a jacket or untucked shirt. I don't like small of the back, as it gets really uncomfortable for me if I am sitting. I also don't like ankle holsters based on personal preference dealing with the draw and weapon retention. I've bought more holsters that I care to think about, trying to find a comfortable way to carry guns. Good luck on your CCW.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
BC, here is a link to a concealed carry web site. A LINK
It has a lot of valuable information along with some great links.
Like Alex00 said it is personal choice, but there is a lot to consider when making that choice.
If you decide to pocket carry be sure to get a pocket holster. The pocket carry size guns a usually .380.
There are some really nice compact 9mm's around. The Smith & Wesson M&P Shield also has the option of using a 9mm or 40 cal barrels.
Remember that concealed carry means concealed, not partially concealed.
And since you travel a bunch check the concealed carry maps on that web site for that states that recognize your TX permit.
You might need to get non resident permits from other states.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Bob, keep in mind the Glock is a weapon that does not have a conventional type of safety. Don't get me wrong, I love my Glock and carried it on duty for quite a few years. But when carrying a Glock do not just stick it in your waistband or pocket without having it in a holster. The Glock's safety is built into the trigger and can easily 'go off' if the trigger is depressed. Having it in a holster that covers the trigger is necessary to prevent the accidental discharge. I have several guns that I carry in a Sneaky Pete holster. They completely cover the weapon and look like a case for a notepad or tablet. You can find them here http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...x=aps&hvadid=1689096549&ref=pd_sl_9onac2vbf_p

porthole

Retired

BC

Both are compacts.
Have you tried either? Not just hold, but shoot? And shoot several boxes.

Glock's have a different fit-grip then many others. And there are just as many Glock lovers as there are haters. But that seems to be mostly the 1911 vs. the world crowd :rolleyes:

The Glock's are now just about the most popular semi auto in the country. I think the current number is 60% for law enforcement.

They are well made, reliable (except maybe for my former Glock 19), easy to shoot and easy to follow up with. But no doubt some of that LEO popularity has a lot to do with the very heavily subsided purchase agreements and personal weapon discounts.

The .40 is a snappy round, especially in a compact. The rumor mill is abound with the FBI supposedly getting ready to announce going to 9mm from the .40

9mm will be easier to obtain and should be less expensive. That is until the FBI starts hoarding the supply.

FBI history is what gave the 9mm a bad rap. The FBI Miami shootout was a catalyst for an upgrade in firepower. The 10mm came to the surface because of that incident, which evolved into the .40, as it was easier for training and less harmful to equipment.

9mm has come along way in performance.

As mentioned above, Glock's do not have a conventional thumb safety. Although it is equipped with 3 internal safeties (2 if you count the trigger bar as external). That said, if you handle the gun with your finger anywhere near the trigger it will go bang.

Glock's require the trigger to be depressed on an empty gun to be field stripped and that seems to be a bone of contention with many folks.

Concealed - be careful next time you come to the Northeast. Unless you have the nationwide LEO carry you most likely will not qualify to carry in NJ and NY.

Concealed also means no "print through"
I would never carry a Glock in my pocket. The lack of a thumb safety is my reason.

Although, you can have a thumb safety added to most Glock's now.
http://cominolli.com/product_info.php?products_id=29
http://www.usacarry.com/glock-manual-safety-kit-by-cominolli-custom/

Alternative to a Glock thumb safety.
http://www.clipdraw.com/store/index.php?rn=396&action=show_detail

Do you qualify for a Glock "blue label" discount?

*All sworn Law Enforcement Officers (LEO) State, County and City
*All Federal Law Enforcement Officers (LEO) FBI, US Marshals, DEA etc
*All Retired LEO with "retired" credentials including Federal, State, County & City
*State Licensed Securtiy Companies (ie. Loomis Fargo, RAM, Securitas, etc)
*State/City licensed Security officers
*Active Military personnel-all branches
*National Guard personnel-all branches
*Military Reserve personnel-all branches
*Legitimately retired military veterans with "retired" military ID
*All TSA employees
*Licensed Para-Medics and EMT's
*Fire Fighters (including volunteers) with appropriate ID
*Commercial Pilot license holders & Federal Flight Deck Officers
*Court Judges
*District Attorneys and Deputy District Attorneys

Blue Label Prices...
www.edspublicsafety.com/glockindividual.html

If carrying 10 rounds is not as important as size, the Walther PPS in 9mm is an excellent CCW as is the SA XD-S in 9mm.

Or, since you are from Texas, and there is no replacement for displacement, the XD-S in .45

Delaine and Lindy

My C/C is S&W Body Guard 380, fits is jeans and Cowboy boots.. I also have a Taurus "Judge" which is a awesome weapon for inside the RV. But stick and bricks is a S&W MP 40, 15 rds and on in the Chamber.. Wife's C/C is a S&W Body Guard 38 Cal. laser sites… Make sure you and yours are properly trained.

jmgratz

Jim, what is the "biggest" you use a sneaky pete for?

How do you find drawing from that type of holster?

I have a Sneaky Pete holster for my Taurus 9mm and my Taurus 380. Both draw very easy and the holsters are very comfortable to wear. I have a S&W Chief's Special 45 that I carry in a paddle holster that clips on my belt. I carry the Glock 21 (45 cal) in my level 3 holster on my duty belt.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have looked at the Glock, the M&P and the XDs. I have not shot any of them. I like the M&P and the XDs feel. Handle is larger. However I would like to fire them. Any idea of how to fire them before I buy them....

I was looking for a 40cal but the XDs 45 looks to be a bit larger for my hand...

BC

alex00

I have looked at the Glock, the M&P and the XDs. I have not shot any of them. I like the M&P and the XDs feel. Handle is larger. However I would like to fire them. Any idea of how to fire them before I buy them....

I was looking for a 40cal but the XDs 45 looks to be a bit larger for my hand...

BC

Several ranges in my area rent guns to shoot, and that's in California. Call around to the local target shooting ranges or even gun stores and ask about rentals. It's been forever since I rented a gun but it was like $5 an hour back then. I can't imagine a gun rental would cost too much. The ammo on the other hand...

porthole

Retired

BC

As above, try your local ranges. We have several around my area that have a "try before you buy" program.

You may really have a hankering for "Billy Joe's” .50 caliber, but once you shoot it you may hate it..................

Just the grip is different among different handguns.
Pickup a Glock and a 1911 you will have to different natural point of aims due to the grip angle.

Many feel the 1911 is the most natural handgun to pick up and bring up on target.
Must be something to a gun that has been around 100+ years, has changed very little and everyone that can tool a piece of steel copies.

You buy something too small, too big of a caliber and you won’t enjoy shooting it.
9mm in the super compacts are down right uncomfortable to shoot for more then a magazine or 3.

I have looked for local clubs? Local net forums?
Here in Jersey we have a pretty good forum that if I was to post a question like, anyone going to be at CJRPC (my range-club) that has XYZ gun for me to try I know I would get multiple offers.

When I first got my Garand, and couldn’t get ammo, I had offers for hundreds of rounds just so I could get use to the rifle.

You’re on our forum asking a bunch of RV’ers that are shooting enthusiasts about pistols.
On a Gun forum you will be asking a bunch of Gun owners that may also campers.

The gun forums are loaded with knuckleheads though, just like the RV forums (RV.net) You need to search and form your own opinions.

9mm and .45, will be the most popular, and either are a good choice with the proper ammo.

Next time you come to Central Jersey.......................

porthole

Retired
I have a Sneaky Pete holster for my Taurus 9mm and my Taurus 380. Both draw very easy and the holsters are very comfortable to wear.

How obvious would you say it is as to what you have on your belt to the non gun person?
Since it is a "holster" you wear outside your pants, is it still considered concealed in Texas?
Can you see any portion of the grip in the gap?

I carry the Glock 21 (45 cal) in my level 3 holster on my duty belt.

Is the recoil on the 21 as easy as it is made out to be? Ever compare to say a 19 or 17?

jmgratz

How obvious would you say it is as to what you have on your belt to the non gun person?
Since it is a "holster" you wear outside your pants, is it still considered concealed in Texas?
Can you see any portion of the grip in the gap?

Is the recoil on the 21 as easy as it is made out to be? Ever compare to say a 19 or 17?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

The Sneaky Pete holster covers the entire weapon concealing it. I the holster by its design looks like a cellphone or tablet case not a gun holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk