What's your favorite carry weapon?

porthole

Retired
Jim,

I know you've given this advice before and have also recommended Bear Spray. I'm afraid I don't understand:

1) Why you think that using Pepper Spray or similar products won't put you into a potentially ruinous court situation.

2) Why you think it's a good idea to leave the scene after an altercation where you disable someone. If you're found, wouldn't your explanation be completely discounted? Couldn't the other guy make up any story and come across as the only credible witness?

Btw, if the injured party has to be admitted to a hospital, any charges against you could be upgraded to Aggravated Assualt.

In New Jersey I would have to run after using pepper spray, as we have a "duty to retreat", even in our own homes.

donr827

I would like to make one suggestion. If you carry a gun in your RV make sure you practice for accuracy. I would hate to shoot at bad guy inside my trailer and miss. The bullet would probably go through the trailer and might cause collateral damage to either property or fellow camper. I am no bullet expert so if my assumption is wrong let me know. I do carry.
Don

danemayer

In New Jersey I would have to run after using pepper spray, as we have a "duty to retreat", even in our own homes.

Duane, you better start running now. New Jersey will probably come after you for posting on a thread about guns.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
As we travel around working for Southeast Publications USA, Inc selling advertising for the RV Park Guest Guides (site maps) we always try to sell an ad to a gun dealer that has a shooting range. We do this because we are aware many RVers carry weapons and need to keep in practice. Please let the advertisers know you saw their ad in the RV park guide as it lets them know the value of their advertising. We hear all the time that they don't believe their ad is of any value because they do not know if it is being seen.

porthole

Retired
Duane, you better start running now. New Jersey will probably come after you for posting on a thread about guns.

1 camping forum, 2 motorcycle forums, 2 boating forums, 2 Ford truck forums, 1 golf cart forum and of course, 1 New Jersey gun forum

They all have just about the same exact thread. We are in no way unique here :rolleyes:

And of course, the last one is the most radical :cool: As a group we even have our own custom made "logo'ed" AR receivers.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I would like to make one suggestion. If you carry a gun in your RV make sure you practice for accuracy. I would hate to shoot at bad guy inside my trailer and miss. The bullet would probably go through the trailer and might cause collateral damage to either property or fellow camper. I am no bullet expert so if my assumption is wrong let me know. I do carry.
Don

This is true, if you have taken a CHL class or any introduction to handguns course, One of the main points they teach you is to be aware of what is around you, your target and what is beyond your target.

I'd also suggest every few months to stop by a range and fire off a magazine or two. It helps keeps you familiar with your firearm, it's loading and unloading procedure and will continue to help with your accuracy.

akf15e

For 20 years my weapon of choice was the F-15E Strike Eagle. Favorite load was 7 MK-84 2000 lb bombs - lots of boom and made the bad guys think twice about staying in the fight. However, laser guided 500 pounders were a better choice for precision and stand-off. Kind of like the difference between a handgun and a rifle. 20mm Gatling was good too, but it required getting way too close to the bad guys. Anyway, since I'm retired, Uncle Sam won't let me carry (or be carried) by that weapon any more.

On topic - Haven't carried since I moved from Alaska where weapon of choice was S&W 629 .44 with 300 gr loads for a bit of bear repellent on back country hikes. My wife or son would follow behind with a S&W 686 .357. That was more for dirtbag repellent should we meet any undesirables with bad intentions out in the woods. Working on getting CCL now, so need to get a better weapon for carry. Lots of great ideas here. Thanks for the great thread!

Grey Ghost

These days, a canon would be my favorite weapon! However just to heavy to carry around. I have a 9mm, a .38 conceal weapon and a AK-47, I think that should be enough, don't you?

pegmikef

As we travel around working for Southeast Publications USA, Inc selling advertising for the RV Park Guest Guides (site maps) we always try to sell an ad to a gun dealer that has a shooting range. We do this because we are aware many RVers carry weapons and need to keep in practice. Please let the advertisers know you saw their ad in the RV park guide as it lets them know the value of their advertising. We hear all the time that they don't believe their ad is of any value because they do not know if it is being seen.

Jim, I personally would like to see shooting ranges (not necessarily just dealer owned ones), if any, also advertised in the park info. You're right, it seems as the more we travel the less time and places we have to maintain our weapon proficiency. During the recent Kerrville Rally we found a nice range close by and I know there is one in Brady, TX. . . . but it took a little digging to find these. An advertisement in the park guide would really nice.

HornedToad

Tonight I conceded to the collective wisdom of the forum and more importantly my wife.

After professing on this thread to not owning a gun since my oldest daughter was born 30 years ago...
DW ask me the other day if I thought we should get a gun to carry on the trailer when we were out boon docking.

We went to Academy Sports and bought a 12 gauge pump shotgun with a 19' barrel to keep on the trailer.

Technically I didn't buy or own a gun??? Every year my four daughters chip in and give me a budget to pick out my BDay present,
so they bought the gun. When we got to the counter I had left my glasses in the truck, so Helen filled out the paperwork and owns the gun.

But now I do have a carry weapon!!!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am loling at your typo though...a 19' barrel? How you get that in and out? Lol. I know what you mean though. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HornedToad

I am loling at your typo though...a 19' barrel? How you get that in and out? Lol. I know what you mean though. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OOPS... a 19 inch barrel. I wanted a little shorty that would be easy to handle.

I wouldn't be able to carry that other gun in my 12' garage!!!

'Lil Guy'

Tonight I conceded to the collective wisdom of the forum and more importantly my wife.

After professing on this thread to not owning a gun since my oldest daughter was born 30 years ago...
DW ask me the other day if I thought we should get a gun to carry on the trailer when we were out boon docking.

We went to Academy Sports and bought a 12 gauge pump shotgun with a 19' barrel to keep on the trailer.

Technically I didn't buy or own a gun??? Every year my four daughters chip in and give me a budget to pick out my BDay present,
so they bought the gun. When we got to the counter I had left my glasses in the truck, so Helen filled out the paperwork and owns the gun.

But now I do have a carry weapon!!!

I don't have a short barreled shotgun so I keep handguns around but you made a good decision on your choice of guns. Loaded with 4's should be all you would ever need unless you plan to chase them down the street and take long shots .lol Get familiar with it. It probably holds 5 shells in the mag with a push button safety by the trigger. Maybe a slide safety.. You might prefer to not have a round in the chamber but know how to rack that slide to chamber a round if necessary. Should be second nature to you. Get familiar with it. It's worthless empty and dangerous if you aren't accustomed to it. Again, a short barreled SG is an excellent defense weapon. Take it out and shoot it.

HornedToad

know how to rack that slide to chamber a round if necessary... a short barreled SG is an excellent defense weapon. Take it out and shoot it.

Several post on this thread recommended a shotgun as a good carry weapon. I knew it was the right gun for the trailer when the clerk at the gun counter racked it so we could take a look, and people in the shoe department across the store ducked.

I did own a couple of shotguns and loved to go bird hunting in my youth, but I've only tagged along with my brother in-law a few times to the skeet range since, so I am definitely very rusty. DW or the girls have never handled a gun. I bought several boxes of shells to hook up with one of my buddies, who is a member of a local gun club, so we can all go out to the range and get comfortable with little shorty.

I was going to call him Lil' Guy, but that name was already taken. Ya'll have fun at the rally next week, them Cajuns know how to make a party!!!

'Lil Guy'

Yea, I had to teach them at their last rally.lol Enjoy your new gun and be safe. I have a decal on my flag pole holder of the 'Lil Guy' stating that if god didn't want us to have guns he wouldn't have given us trigger fingers.

Jim.Allison

You always want to rack your shotgun so that everyone knows what is "fixin" to happen. And as a former federal LEO, I GUARANTEE there is no sound on this earth that will get the attention of a bad guy faster than a rack from a SG. Therefore I do not carry hot, because I do not want to jack a round onto the ground for my adversary to use against me.

If I was in a struggle for a weapon, I would fire all the rounds, and leave my adversary with an empty weapon. I would not want him to pick up a loose round off the ground, and be loaded again. This only applies to the SG, everything else is hot. Since I'm a 1911 shooter, its cocked and locked - Just saying

porthole

Retired
You always want to rack your shotgun so that everyone knows what is "fixin" to happen. And as a former federal LEO, I GUARANTEE there is no sound on this earth that will get the attention of a bad guy faster than a rack from a SG. Therefore I do not carry hot, because I do not want to jack a round onto the ground for my adversary to use against me.

As a former LEO I am surprised to hear you say that. Goes against all the logic I have ever been told.

My pump shot guns can't be "racked" with a round in the chamber, something has to be pressed to release the slide to to that. So, there is no chance of "dropping a round on the ground", accidentally.

The only sound any bad guy might be able to hear should be the safety.