It's here!!Mixed feelings...

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Ok guys, my intent was not to stir the pot.

I am very much aware what it costs to make things look nice. My complaint is the fact the whole problem with the water heater was a wire nut was not properly tightened and it fell off allowing the wires to seperate.
Most of the wire nuts are not tight, That was also the problem on the 120v side under the cover on the water heater.

Philip Crosby has bulit an entire industry on his definition on quality. He states that quality is "the conformance to the requirements". In other words, if your requiremnts for a watch is to just tell time, which watch is higher quality-a $1,000.00 Rolex or a $20.00 Timex??? In this case the Timex keeps perfect time so the Timex fits the bill for quality. The Rolex is just higher priced.

Where this thought process becomes an issue is when sloppy workmanship starts costing you money in the form of warranty repairs. Will all the systems work wired and plumbed in this manner? Yes, absolutley.
Will they work better if all the wires are loomed together and the plumbing is neater? Probably not, but they may work properly for a longer period of time if it was neater and the workmanship was better. A Plus for the customer and maybe a repeat customer for the manufacturer.

I understand that you cannot mass produce anything by spending countless hours on the product. But I actually enjoy making "things" look clean and neat. Sometimes I think it's a curse though:rolleyes:

I love the fit and finish on the interior. Much better than most trailers of comparable cost. I hope to get many years of enjoyment out of the trailer.

I promise the next thread I start will be will be "lighter" None
Ok, off the soap box now.

boatdoc

Southern Nights: This is poor workmanship and it really brings to question if I want to continue waithing for my unite which should be coming within the next couple of weeks. I seen something like this on a model at the dealership that had a microwave oven out of it space and the poor workmanship was noted there too. I am really starting to get some second thoughts with or without any long PDI's. This is not what I am looking for in a unit. A lot of these things are now becoming concerns which enclude springs, air ducting, hot water heaters, shower leaks and the like. This is just not good quility control. Floyd

Floyd, These "concerns" are not just Heartland, they are industry wide. Most all of us love our Heartland products and work thru the "buggy period". They by far are most bang for the buck. Remember forums are full of problems looking for a fix and the people with no problems just read and give suggestions to fixes and don't very often post how well their unit is performing.
You'll love your's when it gets there!!!

fpratt

boatdoc & SoutherNights: I guess I was a bit pointed; following the forums many items were fixed and or repaired. I perhaps lean in the area of wanting things to be done correctly and not having to go back and repair them to make things right such as wiring hangers, ports through walls with a neat holes where they are not looking like the hole was made with a hammer or something. Sorry if I offended anyone. We are looking forward to our new unit which will replace our H&R Alumiscape. We are looking for happy trails if you will. I surely don't want to cause any problems for HL. Perhaps quility control needs to take a bit better look into the inside workings of their units. Floyd

SouthernNights

boatdoc & SoutherNights: I guess I was a bit pointed; following the forums many items were fixed and or repaired. I perhaps lean in the area of wanting things to be done correctly and not having to go back and repair them to make things right such as wiring hangers, ports through walls with a neat holes where they are not looking like the hole was made with a hammer or something. Sorry if I offended anyone. We are looking forward to our new unit which will replace our H&R Alumiscape. We are looking for happy trails if you will. I surely don't want to cause any problems for HL. Perhaps quility control needs to take a bit better look into the inside workings of their units. Floyd

You didnt offend me. I agree with you:D

B

bwwalczak

Thank you for all of your input on this discussion. One of the biggest reasons why Heartland has such a loyal following is that we pay attention to our customers (and they pay attention to us!).

Within hours of the first post, Heartland product meetings were based on this discussion. Our production and engineering folks are on top of this.

Together we can keep the dream alive of the best value, best layouts, best in class product available. In 2009 BEST PRODUCT WINS, we intend to be the best. Thank you for your posts.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Thank you for all of your input on this discussion. One of the biggest reasons why Heartland has such a loyal following is that we pay attention to our customers (and they pay attention to us!).

Within hours of the first post, Heartland product meetings were based on this discussion.

AWESOME! Ain't Heartland just TOO COOL! I LOVE MY CYCLONE!!!:D:):cool:

SouthernNights

Within hours of the first post, Heartland product meetings were based on this discussion. Our production and engineering folks are on top of this.

Together we can keep the dream alive of the best value, best layouts, best in class product available. In 2009 BEST PRODUCT WINS, we intend to be the best. Thank you for your posts.

WOW, I'm impressed!!!!

Glad to see the factory is watching these forums.

jonesj2

I am not stiring the pot either but I just want to remind everyone here on the forum what happened on our Sundance about 1 month ago. I have posted the link to my original post.

I am asking everyone to check those barrel connections because they are prone to coming off because they are put on too fast or not crimped properly.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=9417&highlight=panicing

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)

Bryan,
Thank you for speaking up and letting us know you are out there and listening. This is just the type of factory involvement that makes Heartland a great company.

Thank you,
Mark

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I think heartland has to have a happy medium on the wiring, plumbing, drains and etc. I want the best bang for the buck with my heartland and i think they are pretty good at it. If it means getting a "pretty" wiring trough, plumbing all lined up with 90' angles on the pipes and etc, i say keep it as it is. I can easily deal with the mess and i'm sure the rv dealers can sort it out better than me when they have to work on it. I'm not looking for the rolls royce of rv's when i buy a heartland and don't expect to get it for the price we are paying. Keep up the good work. add the actual cost for the "pretty" wiring job and see how many include it as an option.

enthuz

Being in the engineering industry working with multiple vendors (plumbing, electrical and etc.), it is better for each team to be as clean as possible with their work so the next crew can easily do thier job also. Having had to go from a situation like this before to a much more "professional" look (not with trailers though same rules apply), I can say that it is possible to improve with no added cost. We found that it could actually save time. I must admit that at first I wasn't a believer. However after meetings brainstorming and a lot of preplanning to finalize the new SOP, we now install in a picture perfect way and shaved an hour off each job at the same time. Amazingly we also saved on materials cost, because doing it sloppy leads to waste.

talley

A very postive sign that Heartland has monitored these posts and let us know that they, at least in some measure, are willing to respond.

The aftermarket automobile audio industry has standards related to installation, connections and bundling/appearance of wiring. This includes navigation and camera systems. "Behind the scenes" areas and compartments in vehicles can be jam packed; much more limited space that we find in our coaches. They have found that in these areas neatness counts and relates to their reputation with customers. Good installers use the same methods on low end or high end vehicle installs of equipment which often run several thousands of dollars. This is based in good part because they find it more efficient at the time of install.

enthuz

Just the fact that HL recognized owners and prospective owners' concerns like this and look to implement them is such a welcome site. I have sat in many R&D meetings with companies that deliberately dismiss the concerns of the consumers. I love it when a company doesn't let thier growth dictate that small company attention they give to thier customers. At this rate, number one RV OEM is not far off. Now if HL can start making Coaches by the time I'm ready to retire, I will be happy.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Rally

I'm certainly gonna miss you guys, too. :( Postponed taking Micah to Germany until next year, so we can save more $$ to stay there longer. Rene'e is coming with me FT in the Cyclone after Father's Day weekend! :) (Chopper, too!) Just not able to swing the Goshen Rally this year. Maybe Nashville will work out! I LOVE MY CYCLONE!!

(I guess if I'd put that in my signature, I wouldn't have to type it all the time, huh!)

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
It's nice to see that HL pays attention to the forum.I believe a neater job would also make it easier for any dealer to work on and even the owner

they say a picture is worth a thousand words. go back and look again at the picture. say what you want to,this is SHAMEFUL WORK!!!.looks like a bunch of blind lame workers did this job, that just do not care.I know Heartland listens to everyone and tries to correct these problems,but dont make excuses for this kinda workmanship.