It's here!!Mixed feelings...

Dave012

Wasted space

If they ran than plumbing and electrical along the sides and top they would certainly free up space for storage. Just seems like a waste.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
wyleyrabbit; ...I haven't ever owned a boat said:
Even the simple wiring on my 20ft. pontoon is secured, covered in conduit, and easily traced.

I would like to convert the lower, always on, 120V outside outlet to a switched one, but trying to figure out where it's fed and where it goes requires a crystal ball.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Hi Scott,

I addressed some some of your concerns with what I found on my unit. Maybe it will help a little. One item I had problems with that you did not bring up, but you have probably seen is the duct work from the heater.
The air flow was impeded by all the excess duct. (See original pictures.)
Once they were shortened and rerouted, the air flow is much better. Especially to the rear of the trailer.

Hello to all. I just finished reading this entire thread to see what the common problems that everyone is having with their units when they are new. I just purchased a brand new 2009 Big Country 3490 RB. Now...I know that the 2011's are hitting the street but the price was right, and this floorplan is just what we wanted in the price range we were shopping in.

We are full-timing in our BC and it is just like anything else, embedded with it's own problems. Here are the problems that I have discovered so far.

1. Two broken water fittings on the winterizing valve that soaked the basement :mad:. Lucky for me...I discovered it before I put anything in there, so it was just wet carpet. I repaired them myself as I cannot see taking it to the dealer since I am full-timing in it for just a simple repair.

Had the same issue with the the sink drains in the kitchen sink.

2. Gray 1 and 2 tanks drain extremely slow. It's been in the 20's and 30's so I have not been able to look into this issue. Hopefully it's not going to have something in there restricting it from flowing.

Gray number 2 drained very slow. I had the belly pan off one day and found the valve not opening all way.

3. The satellite wiring to the forward bedroom does not work :(. It will not allow a receiver to get a signal. I have not looked into this yet, but I am sure since it's right above the basement that it will be easy to troubleshoot and repair.

I dont know if mine works or not. I assume it would but never had it hooked up.
4. The area behind the wall in the basement is a mess. There is sawdust and wood shavings, numerous pieces of wiring insulation and wiring pieces from when they stripped the wire ends to install something, and there is no organization in the wiring or plumbing at all :( (I will fix that ;)).

I have spent some time cleaning up the wiring. Even untied the wires that were tied in a knot around the step brace. I have done a little to the plumbing but want to get manifolds like they used to use on the Landmarks before I do anymore.

The wiring does look so much better. Another area you minght want to check is behind the panel where you tank monitor and switches are. Check especially the grounds. I installed ground bars and have redundant grounds. Bad gound connections was the cause for my water heater not working when I got my trailer.
5. The outside speakers are very distorted like they are blown. I don't know for sure yet, because I have not looked into it, and it's in the 30's outside, but from what I can hear, it must have been played loud while on the RV lot and by mistake blown. I will have to look at it and determine what I am going to do about it.

Both of mine were very distorted. I called Jensen and recieved two new speakers - no charge. I do not know why they "blew" They did work fine when it was new, but after driving in alot of rain to the Fall Rally at the OBX last year, they did not work. I think Gus may have had something to do with that.:D

From a Quality Assurance (QA) standpoint, if you are going to streamline a process for efficency and increased quality (cost wise readiness), then it's got to start and be accepted by all members of the process. If HL is going to build a trailer, and they do build a nice unit :), then the QA process must mandate that they route the wiring and plumbing in such a way as to make it as neat and professional during the initial installation to prevent problems from occurring later as a result of this sloppy install.

I agree.

There is no additional cost associated with installing the wiring into a preplanned correct location or area that would allow for a neater and more professional installation. The technician is already in there doing the work, so what additional cost is associated with just putting in the right way for the first and only time? NONE. This is not a cost factor, it's a fact of not having a process in place that would foster a better install. It's been overlooked and accepted as "This is the way we have always done it" attitude that will keep them installing this way. This can change and I'm sure with the brand manager looking at these forums, that changes will come that will eliminate the sloppy intallations in the future.

I can only guess that rapid growth of Heartland may have attributed to some of the poor workmanship in the basement. I hope, for their sake they have initiated steps to have better worknmanship.

There was someone that said he was not going to mess with it because if "It's not broke...don't mess with it" was his response. Well...in retort to that statement...I don't want to be setting up in the middle of the moutains ready for a wonderful RV'ing experience with my family when something is broken from the trip up there and have to listen to my wife complain that it's broken and that I should have checked it. So prevention is the key to success.

Once again, I agree.

The Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) should be thorough as it can be. Hook it all up and check it all out with the dealer right there. If they don't make time for you, then demand it. Experienced or not, it's their job to deliver a unit to you that you are happy with. I did not take the time that I wanted to because I was on a schedule to get back home at a certain time. I live four hours from my dealer, so I assumed the risk associated with what I would discover once I set it up. I can repair most anything so I'm not affraid to repair the RV.

Absolutley my fault. I had no PDI, but like you, had plans to reapir anything myself short of the walls falling off.

Please understand that I don't defend sloppy work, but at the time same time, if it's not part of the process to install it in a way that is neat and professional looking, then it won't change. Our input and feedback to HL is what is going to change the future RV's for the next potential HL owner.

I am enjoying my Big Country and look forward to many years of use out of my RV.

My two cents....

Scott
2009 Big Country 3490 RB :cool:
2005 Ford F-350 Lariet 6.0L Powerstroke DRW Crewcab :cool:

Last edited:

JohnDar

If the heat duct to your bedroom droops down in the basement, a simple mod, like I did, will help improve the airflow. I removed about three feet of excess hose by removing that droop,along with a big one behind the basement wall.

Ernest-T

I just bought a 2011 3185bh there has been no improvements in the basement install. Still a sloppy mess. Where is the quality control and craftmanship?

Yianni

I just bought a 2011 3185bh there has been no improvements in the basement install. Still a sloppy mess. Where is the quality control and craftmanship?

This really surprises me. Mine is a 2010 Cyclone 3010 and I have been all through the basement and had the underbelly off. All my wires are neatly run and tied together. The plumbing is neatly run and no leaks since new. Even in the underbelly the wires are in wire loom.
Sorry for your problems. They may have had a lapse.

wyleyrabbit

If the heat duct to your bedroom droops down in the basement, a simple mod, like I did, will help improve the airflow. I removed about three feet of excess hose by removing that droop,along with a big one behind the basement wall.

John,

First, what kind of beer is that in the back of your photo? :angel:

Second, I was seriously considering building a box and covering it in black fabric and enclosing that heating duct. I would really like the basement to look completely finished, and having a duct pipe just hangin' around there just doesn't look right.

Chris

wyleyrabbit

This really surprises me. Mine is a 2010 Cyclone 3010 and I have been all through the basement and had the underbelly off. All my wires are neatly run and tied together. The plumbing is neatly run and no leaks since new. Even in the underbelly the wires are in wire loom.
Sorry for your problems. They may have had a lapse.

Very interesting. Perhaps Heartland has different levels of skill in their different product lines. Or perhaps some employees have near zero skill and absolutely zero pride in doing something properly. And since Heartland seems to continually exhibit no quality control on their trailers before they leave the factory (from my personal experience and observations from other's experience), the dealers are left to fix the mistakes that we the customer find out about, sometimes the hard way.

I have personally lost days of my precious vacation due to sloppy workmanship and Heartland's use of sub-standard building materials (brittle plastic plumbing fittings, for a start).

I really hope that someone at Heartland starts realizing that better quality, both parts and assembly quality, from the start will decrease the cost of paying for dealers to fix problems after the fact and increase sales, both new customers and repeat customers. Time will tell.

My $0.02.

Chris

JohnDar

John,

First, what kind of beer is that in the back of your photo? :angel:

Second, I was seriously considering building a box and covering it in black fabric and enclosing that heating duct. I would really like the basement to look completely finished, and having a duct pipe just hangin' around there just doesn't look right.

Chris

I'll be the first to admit that I'm partial to "Blue." But then, again, if it's offered to me, I'll guzzle any brand :D.

That's not a bad idea, putting an enclosure around that duct. Would prevent possibility of poking it with something while rummaging around in there. It's far enough in that I would not be easily whacking my noggin on it.

wyleyrabbit

John,

Perhaps like other things, I may be underestimating the amount of work and cost involved, but this seems pretty simple.

Anyone have any idea if it's possible to order the same fabric that Heartland uses for the basement? Is this standard stuff that's likely available elsewhere?

Chris

SilverRhino

I've seen very similar material at an auto re-upholstery shop...you might even be able to find something at a large fabric store. Many of them carry fabric that can be use for upholstery or head liners.

Just a couple of ideas..Good Luck!

JohnDar

Building the box and covering it are the simple parts. Finding secure points to mount it to the ceiling may be tricky. In my rig, none of the floor joists are exposed. It's possible that my Zircon stud finder might be able to locate them, though. I'll have to check it out come Spring.

wyleyrabbit

Our trailer is in the shop for deficiencies right now, so I couldn't tell you whether our magic Zircon can find the studs. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't though.

I don't think the box would need to be too heavy, as it's only covering a heating vent. No need to use 1" MDF. ;) What about using some sort of molly bolt or similar?