Goodyear H-rated G114's blow out

porthole

Retired
Re: Goodyear H-rated G-114's blow out

From the Tire monitor thread

Of note, we lost a tire on the way to Myrtle Beach, as far as I know the first G-114 to explode.
No warning, I heard a thump which at first I though was the concrete expansion joint, but the tire monitor started going off right about the same time.

Thump + TST alarm = look in the mirror in time to see shrapnel, from the tire and trailer trim.

The odd thing, which I have not discussed yet with TST, is that the monitor continued to alarm and show a pressure of 69 PSI. That was on a wheel that only had two sidewalls left of the tire. 69 stayed on the screen until I put the sensor on the spare.

Another note for the G-114's. I do not remember the last time I checked the air in the spare (matching tire and rim), at least 2 years though.
Pressure was at 105-106. Not to shabby.
Was probably set at 110 or 115 the last time I checked it.

lwmcguir

The photo you shared would indicate the tire was running at a low air pressure long enough for it to heat up and fail. Interesting that the TST locked in, I personally would never trust that sensor on a tire on the road. I have some 114 that are many years old (and look it) on seldom used ranch trailers. Knock on wood have never shredded one yet.

porthole

Retired

The photo you shared would indicate the tire was running at a low air pressure long enough for it to heat up and fail. Interesting that the TST locked in, I personally would never trust that sensor on a tire on the road. I have some 114 that are many years old and look it on seldom used ranch trailers. Knock on wood have never shredded one yet.

I'm curious how you see it as low pressure. Goodyear couldn't determine that, and they looked at - have the tire.

It was checked in the morning before we pulled out. All four the same, all four temps the same.
I do trust the sensors and found them to be very reliable. I also check the pressures with a gauge on average once a month, including the day before, before leaving for this trip. The blowout was about 310 miles into the trip, and less then 70 miles on this leg
Tire wear is minimal when comparing the new 114's to the 21,000 mile 114's.

lwmcguir

I would be surprised if the tire wasn't hot when you changed it. Was it cool or at what would be road temperature? If there was a defect that caused it to just shred then most likely there would be many others out there that would have done the same thing. Certainly will be curious to here what the autopsy results are officially.

porthole

Retired

Certainly will be curious to here what the autopsy results are officially.

I am as well. Though even human autopsies don't always result isn a "cause"

But, I really don't think there is enough tire left to make any real determination. there is no tread, just some belts and the sidewalls. I have been finding pieces of the belt in my driveway. There must be some shreds all under the trailer.
Add to that I probably have a mile plus looking for a safe place to pull over, although it was at low speed, it still added to the damage, probably is what damaged the wheel as well.

Was it cool or at what would be road temperature?

The tire was well aerated by the time I got out to look, and was cool to the touch.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I was told by a reputable tire dealer that you should look to change out your trailer tires after 3 years. That is what we intend on doing. Every Goodyear tire we have had fail was right at that 3 year mark. (all 614's) Our G114 tires are just over 2 years. We will be changing them out at 3 years just to be on the safe side. It is a real PITA to have a blowout regardless of Goodyears reimbursement. BTW GoodYear took care of use all 3 times.

avvidclif

A thought on the TST system. I had a flat and the tire pressure monitor followed the pressure down to ,last I saw, abt 30 lbs from 87. The alarm went off at 72 as programmed and we knew we had a problem. I'm just wondering if the system is designed that on a blowout (rapid decompression) it locks the pressure to show where it was at when it blew? But that begs the question that if the tire was at 69 when it blew why didn't the low pressure alarm go off??

I know on the 507 the high, low, and temp alarms can be programmed and wonder if the low was not set right?

I will be getting my Sailuns in the next week so will have to re-program it for new highs and lows when changing from an 80lb to a 110lb tire.

Just thinking over the first cup of coffee....

danemayer

I'm just wondering if the system is designed that on a blowout (rapid decompression) it locks the pressure to show where it was at when it blew?

You could call TST to ask. They're very responsive.

porthole

Retired

I'm just wondering if the system is designed that on a blowout (rapid decompression) it locks the pressure to show where it was at when it blew?

The answer to that question from the head guru at TST is " I have no idea why it did that".

Jim.Allison

Oh......no. that did not happen!

I bought a infrared temp tool, and I'm now checking tire and hub temps whenever I exit the vehicle. So far my TPMS seems to be accurate.

Sorry this happened to you, but it was not for a lack of trying to prevent it.

porthole

Retired

I bought a infrared temp tool, and I'm now checking tire and hub temps whenever I exit the vehicle. So far my TPMS seems to be accurate.

I also check with an infrared, not every time but at least once per day to make sure the TPMS is still on track. That blow out was less the an hour into the mornings run.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

No matter how good or bad . . . cheap or expensive the tire . . . they all can blow out!

I had a Ford Bronco II back in the late 80's and early 90's that had Goodyear Wrangler tires on it when I bought it new.

I had more flats with those tires than any other tires I've ever owned!

When I finally replaced all five tires . . . they were not Goodyear's . . . and I never had one single flat after getting those tires off of that truck!

Just sayin' . . .

porthole

Retired

I don't see here if I posted the result of my damage claim from the tire failure.
Result = 100% of submitted damage claim, paid by check from GY.
I did have to sign a release from further claims on this incident.
All was done by email with no more then 1 day between exchanges.

100% equals: $6258.84

$1950 bill for four tires mounted and balanced in Myrtle Beach
Damaged wheel replaced
Spare replaced since it was the same purchase date as originals. Just told Goodyear I didn't have faith in the tire and they agreed.
All the body damage and mud flaps

The only thing not paid for was the $30 in parts I forgot to add for my under chassis flag pole carrier that was damaged.

Last edited:

rxbristol

I don't see here if I posted the result of my damage claim from the tire failure.
Result = 100% of submitted damage claim, paid by check from GY.
I did have to sign a release from further claims. All was done by email with no more then 1 day between exchanges.

Goodyear stands behind their tires again. Thanks for the update.

brianharrison

So, if another tire blows you have no recourse from Goodyear?

I doubt it applies to future events. Release is typically for current event - ie this claim - no further actions or future adjustments for damages.

Brian

herefishy

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but trying to decide between 614 and 114, and wondered about the cost of new wheels - anybody got a ballpark guess?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

It's been a few years...but we go 4 G114's with new rims from Trailer tire and wheels, delivered to a FedEx center for $2,800.