What's your favorite carry weapon?

jimtoo

Jamie, I don't know about the Taurus Judge... I admit it looks and sounds like a powerful home defense type weapon but it just doesn't prove to be accurate on the range. It basically is a hand held 410 shot gun with a 2 to 4 inch barrel. It appears to be a good car gun (under 7 feet) but does not perform well at 7 yards (21 feet). When one looks at the load, 410 close range you say Wow ! But on the range it is not too good and does not present itself well. The most popular round is a Winchester 410 with 3 - 9mm balls. At 7 yards only 2 of the balls hit the silhouette target... that's pretty bad ! Our 5ers are longer then the accuracy range of the Taurus Judge ! If someone breaks in and has a single shot rim fire, he could be the victor... In the end, I think getting one projectile in the kill zone would be much more effective and without all the noise and smoke... JMO

And that dude will make your hand and wrist hurt if you got any weakness at all.

RollingHome

Sometimes Jim - bigger is NOT better. Once I shot a 357 at dusk and the blinding falsh blinded and surprised me. Ya better be right on with the first ka-bome cause there won't be a second chance...

hart1369

i dont have any trouble with muzzle blast after dark with my s&w cs 45 but without hearing protection its a head splitter. so if i by chance miss the bg will be hard of hearing for awhile if more than one round is fired out of that hand cannon

todalake

Curious, has anybody ever had to pull or fire their gun when camping? I've camped in public and private campgrounds and have never felt threatened. What kind of places are people camping at that need a gun? I want to stay away from those places!

I was reading an advertisement in my latest issue of Field and Stream from Winchester and their .410 shot shell designed for the Taurus Judge. It has 3 larger discs for penatration and 12 BB shot shell for dispersment. Anyone use this ammo? Any thoughts? I think I might look into a Judge for the Heartland.

Thanks
Jamie

I have seen this load but I do not want that many pellets from a 2 inch barrel. THey will go all over the place. I do use 3 inch #4 shot for snake country. I stick with the 000 buck shot loads and .45 Long Colts by Federal. Hydro shocks. Better loads for distance. The .410 shells disperse within 5 yards from the barrel, and do not penetrate.

hart1369

Curious, has anybody ever had to pull or fire their gun when camping? I've camped in public and private campgrounds and have never felt threatened. What kind of places are people camping at that need a gun? I want to stay away from those places!
its not where we camp it is a fact of life , when seconds count the police are only minutes away . then there's this little thing in the usa called the second admement .

vangoes

Not in a campground, but once during a fuel stop in a not so desireable area. When you need fuel you will stop one way or the other and that time for me just happened to be a place that was not so friendly. If I had not have had a weapon that I was able to "exhibit that I had" I think my wife and I would have been in some serious trouble

BTW, in the late 70's we happened to be staying in a State Park on the coast of Virginia at the same time when there was a random robbery/murder of a camper so it does not always have to be a "shady place" that things happen.

Last edited:

RollingHome

Originally Posted by todalake //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/showthread.php?p=123172#post123172

That's a valid question and one many are probably asking themselves. I used to think that way... I grew up in a safe one horse country town that had no crime, ya know, the kind of place where people did not lock their door. There was certainly not a need to carry a gun, you didn't have to be prepared. My parents owned a store. One summer some out of towner realized out sleepy town was easy picking for him and his gun. He came to town sporadically without pattern, he would walk into a store, case it and rob the cash register and disappear. He made a mistake one day, he choose my families store while my brother was at the cash register. My brother's sixth sense kicked in. The bg put his back to my brother and his hand went to his chest area. He turned around and had a gun pointed to where my brother was previously standing. Only then did he realized his pea shooter was not going to do the job my brother's shot gun was going to do - the shotgun that was pointing right at his face. My brother made a mistake (he should have called the police), he told the guy IF he ever came this way again he wouldn't be so lucky and my brother let him go. No one was hurt and the robberies stopped.

Hurricane Andrew, Florida, plywood signs everywhere - YOU LOOT WE SHOOT - There was little if any looting.

Bernard Getz, NY subway, the bg's got shot, the sub-ways became safe until Bernie got caught in one of the largest manhunts in the history of NY. Would you feel safe on a NY sub-way now ?

Isn't there a town which mandates every citizen must carry, isn't crime non-existent in that town ? We who carry want to lock the barn door before the horse get's out and we do not think it's wrong to do so. We think it's wise to be prepared and anticipate and hope we are wrong and you are right. Your question or comment remains a valid one, hopefully you will also understand why we do what we do. Perhaps it’s all from the perspective of life’s events and happenings, not paranoia.

Respectfully, Tom

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Originally Posted by todalake

That's a valid question and one many are probably asking themselves. I used to think that way... I grew up in a safe one horse country town that had no crime, ya know, the kind of place where people did not lock their door. There was certainly not a need to carry a gun, you didn't have to be prepared. My parents owned a store. One summer some out of towner realized out sleepy town was easy picking for him and his gun. He came to town sporadically without pattern, he would walk into a store, case it and rob the cash register and disappear. He made a mistake one day, he choose my families store while my brother was at the cash register. My brother's sixth sense kicked in. The bg put his back to my brother and his hand went to his chest area. He turned around and had a gun pointed to where my brother was previously standing. Only then did he realized his pea shooter was not going to do the job my brother's shot gun was going to do - the shotgun that was pointing right at his face. My brother made a mistake (he should have called the police), he told the guy IF he ever came this way again he wouldn't be so lucky and my brother let him go. No one was hurt and the robberies stopped.

Hurricane Andrew, Florida, plywood signs everywhere - YOU LOOT WE SHOOT - There was little if any looting.

Bernard Getz, NY subway, the bg's got shot, the sub-ways became safe until Bernie got caught in one of the largest manhunts in the history of NY. Would you feel safe on a NY sub-way now ?

Isn't there a town which mandates every citizen must carry, isn't crime non-existent in that town ? We who carry want to lock the barn door before the horse get's out and we do not think it's wrong to do so. We think it's wise to be prepared and anticipate and hope we are wrong and you are right. Your question or comment remains a valid one, hopefully you will also understand why we do what we do. Perhaps it’s all from the perspective of life’s events and happenings, not paranoia.

Respectfully, Tom

I believe like you that it is a sense of readiness should I ever need to! I don't frequent places where I expect to need a weapon anymore but I would like to have one if I unknowingly ever did. I have shot a few snakes far from the camp I am in but that is about it . (With a 9mm and snake-shot.) That is the end of my "have used a weapon during camping" stories!

I have forgotten the name of the local city, but it is in the western Atlanta suburbs (Kennesaw???) where is was mandated that every home must have a weapon! (It has worked!)

I own so many varied handguns as I like to be able to specialize for the need I have at the time. There is NO "One weapon that fits all needs!"

I like the cartoon that shows the home with a sign in front stating that his house is heavily armed BUT that his neighbor (With an arrow pointing to the proper one) is anti-gun..... WHO YA GONNA ROB!!!!!!

Last edited:

Gerr

FN 5.7 , Awesome gun... very accurate, Light ( Less than a Glock) On the down side , very pricey, right at a thousand.

robnmo

I've watched this thread but haven't responded, but guess I'll chime in a little. I've worked public campgrounds for over 3 decades and responded to private campground calls all in a law enforcement capacity, by and large they are all generally safe...............BUT, do things happen? Absolutely!!!!! Also remember in any public campground, any and all are welcome, wether your a regular weekender, passing through spending a week in your 50K RV, or living on the road out of the trunk of your car and slide in after the gate attendant is off work and leave before the attendant gets back in for the morning shift, and in this economy and budget cuts, alot of gatehouse's are closed and the office personnel make their rounds in the morning to collect fees from those that came in during the night (IF they're still there). Also fact of life, in the last 2 yrs, I've seen a large increase in people coming in sleeping in the backs of their trucks, or pitching a small tent, spend one night and be gone, noticed more vehicles with people sleeping in them in boat ramp parking lots...........it's a sign of the times, more people are on the road traveling to new places for work or whatever. When we stay in campgrounds we prefer private as opposed to public ones, (personal preference) but generally private campgrounds generally "screen" patrons to various degrees and the patrons are more of a "preplanned trip" than a simple quick stop over for whatever reason. Do we feel safe in campgrounds? Absolutely, but then again, I've got the wife with me, 2 dogs..............................................and the Sig Sauer! ;)

OhioJay

Sure, the campgrounds may be wonderfully nice! What happens if you break down on the way in an undesireable area? Or a remote area? When you're on the side of the road, waiting with your family, in your expensive tow rig (neon sign), that's pulling your expensive camper (neon sign part two), absolutely anyone can stop and maybe they'll help you out. Or maybe cause trouble!!! You're a sitting duck.

A friend of mine was just attacked by a pitbull (not camping) last week. I'll bet half of the campers you see have dogs! Maybe you or a family member are in danger? Maybe not?

Maybe a bear comes into camp!!!

Maybe a desperate criminal being chased by the authorities decides to make his final stand on your doorstep?

Maybe the campers next to you are getting loud and rowdy, and you politely ask them to keep it down. 2 hours later, he's drunk and belligerent, and decides to confront you?

It's alot of "maybes", but I'd rather be prepared at any one of those terrible moments, than spend the rest of my life regretting not being prepared. Anything can happen at any time.

hart1369

to me its about taking responsibilty for ones self i learned along time ago as a young marine that i was the 1st and last line of defense for myself

No I have never had to pull my weapons at a campground, but then again I have never had to make a claim on my life insurance policy either. Frankly they are both insurance policies I would just assume not use, but if and when the times comes they are comforting. :cool:

todalake

Thanks for the comments. I hunt and I'm not an anti-gun guy. Just wanted to know some reasons for carrying a pistol. Actually makes me feel safer if the good guys are packin when I'm camping. I

RollingHome

todalake, We/I never thought you were anti-gun. We were just trying to make our stance understood in a respectful way so we were not looked at as a bunch of nutcases running around toteing guns in a wild west scenario and out of control. You're comment and question was presented in a respectful and questioning way that was valid. Hopefully, I represented our ideals and values in a way you can respect and appreciate. I believe all the posters answered your valid question respectfully and in a way that can help politely get our ideals and reasons across. In the perfect world NO ONE would ever need to carry, BUT, we are not in a perfect world, are we ? We hope we don't... but IF we do, we are prepared. ta

PS, I have never hunted, I respect those who do, but I don't. SO FAR, THE ONLY THING i'VE DESTROYED WITH A GUN ARE PAPER TARGETS... Tom