What's your favorite carry weapon?

Delaine and Lindy

I agree the Taurus "Judge" isn't a long range weapon. But it is a awesome Snake killing weapon. And out 5th wheel the entrance door is about in the center. Almost any place a person will have to fire the weapon in self-defence will be less than 10'. And at that distance if you don't hit what your shooting at you want kill or injure some next door. And most home invasions aren't long range. Again its a choice and as you know after reading the last 9 pages there are many different choices. We own about 300 acres of good hunting land with plenty of wildlife, we do have it all posted "No Hunting/fishing etc) however we do allow hunting by permission. I haven't fired a deadly weapon in anger since 1968, but in my younger years I did hunt almost year round, since I was 10 years old and still have the first Shotgun and Rifle my dad gave me. But after seeing death by weapons I don't kill nothing any longer .... I only kill poison Sakes, but I don't hunt them. I consider the times we are living in now to be the most unsafe times in my 64 years and 26 of those years were in the Army. Be Safe, but be able to protect you and you family. GBY.....

I agree the Taurus "Judge" isn't a long range weapon. But it is a awesome Snake killing weapon. And out 5th wheel the entrance door is about in the center. Almost any place a person will have to fire the weapon in self-defence will be less than 10'. And at that distance if you don't hit what your shooting at you want kill or injure some next door. And most home invasions aren't long range. Again its a choice and as you know after reading the last 9 pages there are many different choices. We own about 300 acres of good hunting land with plenty of wildlife, we do have it all posted "No Hunting/fishing etc) however we do allow hunting by permission. I haven't fired a deadly weapon in anger since 1968, but in my younger years I did hunt almost year round, since I was 10 years old and still have the first Shotgun and Rifle my dad gave me. But after seeing death by weapons I don't kill nothing any longer .... I only kill poison Sakes, but I don't hunt them. I consider the times we are living in now to be the most unsafe times in my 64 years and 26 of those years were in the Army. Be Safe, but be able to protect you and you family. GBY.....

My point exactly. At close range inside the shell of a camper a high speed, deep penetrating, round will damage but perhaps pass right through an assailant. If only 3 of the 5 buckshot from the Judge hit their mark, reasonable at the distances we are talking about, it will knock the recipient backwards and off of their feet. If there is only one shot available, again at these distances that is reality, make it count. Some games are for keeps and there is no second place. When I am out in the woods I switch to the Ruger .44 mag. Again max knock down but some extra penetration. The DW gets the .40 with Federal Hyrdo Shocks. It has a bit of a kick but more on the other side of the barrel. :D

RollingHome

Little bit of humor here. The first time I took Patti to the range (many years ago) was memorable. It would be her time, her target, her sole experience. You only shoot a gun the first time once... She took aim, pulled the trigger, bang... The 380 ACP hit the thumb tack holding the target to the back board and she killed the target on the first shot, literally it fluttered to the ground ! Her and I got to watch everyone else have fun and shoot for 15 minutes until the range officer blew the whistle... Never been able to repeat that trick shot since - I married an Annie Oakly wanna be !She felt terrible, I was amazed... Doesn't take much to impress me :) Here it is many years later and I still remember it like yesterday ! Tom

PS. The Taurus Judge, all I can say is try it ya might like it. But, please try it first before you make it your first line of defense. I hope I'm wrong, I hope you're right, only a field test will prove it before you need it. So please, try it under a controlled condition sevarl times, then practice regularly. JMO

Little bit of humor here. The first time I took Patti to the range (many years ago) was memorable. It would be her time, her target, her sole experience. You only shoot a gun the first time once... She took aim, pulled the trigger, bang... The 380 ACP hit the thumb tack holding the target to the back board and she killed the target on the first shot, literally it fluttered to the ground ! Her and I got to watch everyone else have fun and shoot for 15 minutes until the range officer blew the whistle... Never been able to repeat that trick shot since - I married an Annie Oakly wanna be !She felt terrible, I was amazed... Doesn't take much to impress me :) Here it is many years later and I still remember it like yesterday ! Tom

PS. The Taurus Judge, all I can say is try it ya might like it. But, please try it first before you make it your first line of defense. I hope I'm wrong, I hope you're right, only a field test will prove it before you need it. So please, try it under a controlled condition sevarl times, then practice regularly. JMO

I would never buy a gun without trying it first. I have shot deveral hundred rounds through the Judge. Mostly .45 LC or Schofields, but plenty of .410 shells also. I emptied a full cylinder of buckshot into a full silhouette and about 15 feet. The Range Master was so shocked he asked if he could givve it a try. I handed him a fresh cylinder full and let him have his way with the target. I went back to the range the next week and there was the Range Master with his brand new Judge. He opted for the 4 inch barrel as he does not use it for a personal carry weapon like I do. One has to unnderstand that after 5 yards the shotgun shell is relatively useless and you have to go with the .45 Long Colt. It will shoot as accurate as most any carry weapon. Besudes the way I figure it if the target is more than 20 yards away you have time to get the **** put of there rather than use the gun.

porthole

Retired
Little bit of humor here. The first time I took Patti to the range (many years ago) was memorable. ...........................

Same here with my Debbie - memorable to say the least :D

Living in New Jersey where we conceal carry nothing it surprises me as to how many people do CC.

I belong to bike forum similar to this one (although private, not factory backed). When this subject came up it really surprised me how many guys I have been riding with (away from NJ) were carrying. There are many more then you might think. What are the percentages here?

There were time when I was on some back roads in NC where I really thought not having a weapon here was downright dangerous.

NJ like NY and CA are really strict.

In order for a Jersey resident to transport his pistol it must be locked in the trunk, the ammo locked separately from the weapon, ID card on person and you must be going to a range, show, gun store etc.

All that said. In the quiet little town of Princeton Township, NJ (I'm sure you all have heard of Princeton), where bad things seldom happen. One night a slightly deranged malcontent crashed his car into a tree. He knocked on the front door of a prominent township resident who brought the "victim" in to help treat his wounds. They called 9-11 and during the wait the "victim" grabbed a 8" kitchen knife and attacked the homeowner, and when other family members came to his aid the "victim" attacked them.

Homeowner was stabbed 28 times - and survived!

Too bad in New Jersey criminals have rights first. Even if you legally own a pistol in Jersey and keep it for home defense, the best round you can have loaded is regular old ball. Hollow points are illegal here.

Our son was one of 3 officers who responded to this call. It did not end well for the original "victim", and for our son and partners it meant over 6 years of legal issues.

Maybe if the the resident was allowed to defend himself one PO would still be on the job (left due to the stress of the ensuing battles) and all the lawyers involved would have made a lot less money.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/24/n...y-shoot-man-they-say-attacked-a-stranger.html

RollingHome

Duane, being your neighbor in PA I feel for all the folks in NJ, I read about NJ's silly gun laws for years. I do not believe the phobia the NJ lawmakers have against guns has done anything to reduce crime. Hopefully, someday you guys will get some leaders with more open minds in the matter of gun ownership etc. Meanwhile, there's a few empty homes over in PA open to a good owner, comon over neighbor :) The story you quoted had a tragic end for all and maybe would have turned out different if Mr. Sword had a gun in his home. Tom

bozo

Hey fellers I live in the North Georgia mountians. When I was a kid in school we took our Deer Rifle to school on a gun rack in the back window of the truck. IKNOWIKNOW(REDNECK) We didn't think of killing anything but wild game. We would even take them out of the truck to show them to each other. Man do we live in a different world now. I saw a thread about being worried in NC. I think we are misunderstood in the south. Most of the people you will never have a problem with. There are bad people everywhere I guess now days. I do admit some in the south think the cicil war ended a year or two ago and these people I keep both eyes on myself.LOL They are still flying the conf. battle flag at their houses. But if it starts again I dont think we will be out gunned this time.LOL I have friends that own 40 or 50 guns. But after all of this I guess I need to admit I do carry. My choice for close range is my Tarus 40cal. I do have an extra clip in towe just in case.LOL But dont worry about coming to the south we are good folks just minding our on business. HAPPY CAMPING!!!!!

bozo

imchud

A good carry choice for me is my -- Kahr PM9 (9mm) or my new Sig p238 (380) --- the problem with the SIG is actually a small 1911 (single action). So the real proper way to carry it is cocked and locked, which I know is safe... but it still gives me the creeps to carry someting with the hammer locked back... So, when I carry the SIG i don't have it cocked and I dont have one in the chamber. So I guess if i need it in a hurry, i'm going to have to ask the perp to give me a minute to get it ready.

A question for you though?... Does anybody carry a 1911 pistol with one in the pipe and with the hammer in the "half cocked" position??? I had a gun smith tell me it is safe to carry it that way?? My SIG is a hammerless pistol with a heavy trigger pull, so if you don't pull the trigger its not going off...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A good carry choice for me is my -- Kahr PM9 (9mm) or my new Sig p238 (380) --- the problem with the SIG is actually a small 1911 (single action). So the real proper way to carry it is cocked and locked, which I know is safe... but it still gives me the creeps to carry someting with the hammer locked back... So, when I carry the SIG i don't have it cocked and I dont have one in the chamber. So I guess if i need it in a hurry, i'm going to have to ask the perp to give me a minute to get it ready.

A question for you though?... Does anybody carry a 1911 pistol with one in the pipe and with the hammer in the "half cocked" position??? I had a gun smith tell me it is safe to carry it that way?? My SIG is a hammerless pistol with a heavy trigger pull, so if you don't pull the trigger its not going off...

I know many Officers who used the 1911 S&W 45 cal as a duty weapon and carried it in the half-cocked position.

goodtruck

This is one of the reasons I like tx belive it or not a S&W mod 500 .50 cal a little on the heavy side but with the right hoster fits well under my armpit.