EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: PA, Portersville - 6/10/2011 to 6/12/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselsweetheart

I can only guess what it's like....red lights...and mountains... I'm not sure I would take 30 into Breezewood.... Trukie? What do you think? Can they hook up with you? Sideling Hill is 1 1/2 hours from us by car...which is why I timed it like that....can you make 8am? We just want to get going so we are at the CG at a decent hour since we ARE the hosts...haha Don't want to miss too much...

Ya I am thinking 30 is not too good.... but maybe between Dave and the dieselengineer they can help...

bdb2047

I have not been on Rt 30 for several years.30 between Chamberburg and Breezewood was 2&3lane many hills several truck run offs twisty.I do not think there has been any improvement.Was fun on bike.Other options would be 81N to Shippensburg to turnpike at Blue Mtn. or 81S to 70

dieselsweetheart

4 pm????? Oh gosh....I need to call that guy....who would have thought check-in was so late....I am going to call him tomorrow while I am driving to Pgh... gonna be out there this w/e.....may have to pay this guy a visit...

truknutt

Committed Member
Can anyone tell me what Rt 30 is like between Gettysburg and Breezewood??

Not the best road for a 5er from West of Chambersburg to McConnellsburg. I don't know your driving style or like/dislikes with regards to roadways/highways so bear with me.

From Gettysburg you have a couple of routes:
1) US 15 North to PA Turnpike (236-Gettysburg Pike when using the Toll calculator in post #301)
2) US 30 West to PA 997 North (east of Chambersburg). After 5.1 miles/8 minutes arrive at I-81 Exit 20. North to Carlisle (226-Carlisle in the calculator). All the major truckstops are in Carlisle.
3) US 30 West to PA 997 North (east of Chambersburg) to Turnpike (201-Blue Mountain in calculator). The stretch of PA-997 is 22 miles/33 minutes according to Google Maps. This'll be my route as we're only 2 miles from PA-997.

dieselsweetheart

Ken & Kathy maybe you can hook up with Dave and Nona...then we can all head out together. I am headed to Pgh for the w/e...think I'm going to pay Todd a visit. I want to know about this 4p check-in time. That is really late...heck the day is almost gone! We never discussed check-in time but I assumed it was a normal time like noon or at the latest 1p.... I'll be back on Sunday night!

truknutt

Committed Member
I can only guess what it's like....red lights...and mountains... I'm not sure I would take 30 into Breezewood.... Trukie? What do you think? Can they hook up with you? Sideling Hill is 1 1/2 hours from us by car...which is why I timed it like that....can you make 8am? We just want to get going so we are at the CG at a decent hour since we ARE the hosts...haha Don't want to miss too much...

Ya I am thinking 30 is not too good.... but maybe between Dave and the dieselengineer they can help...

Cheryl, 8am at the Sideling Hill Plaza sounds good on this end.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Dave...Thanks!!! After looking at the map, I think we'll take "door #3"...LOL!! Looks like the best route out of Gettysburg, and will still allow us to make Sideling Hill to meet up with everyone...we'll be able to make 8 AM (thanks Cheryl)...see ya'll soon!!

dieselsweetheart

0800 at Sideling Hill!! It's a date! Sideling has a nice big area for rigs so we will be comfy as we stop for some b-fast and a potty break!! Jamie...time that and we may just see you as we head on down the turnpike to you...

truknutt

Committed Member
0800 at Sideling Hill!! It's a date! Sideling has a nice big area for rigs so we will be comfy as we stop for some b-fast and a potty break!! Jamie...time that and we may just see you as we head on down the turnpike to you...

OooooH, you had Nona at "b-fast"!!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

Wish we could. I have to put in a few hours at work in the morning. If everything goes to plan, we hope to leave around 1:00 and arrive around 3:00-3:30.

szewczyk_john

I was hoping to find an agenda on this thread but did not see it. We are new heartland owners and new to the group. I live in Gibsonia about 40 minutes from the campground. I asked earlier about coming out one evening just to meet you all and see what activities you all have going on. We will be at Goshen but haven't finalized plan until I can fiqure out my work schedule. Is it still ok for us to show up on day during the PA rally? Let me know.

dieselsweetheart

Hi John...we usually don't post agendas on rally threads...because of potential changes that may need to be made... call it "WORL" or "whim of rally leader"... you are most welcome to join us. Why don't you join us on Saturday...in the afternoon we will be having a hot dog roast at our fire and cocktail hour around 1p...but potluck dinner is at 6p...and then official games after that... please join us. All you need to do is show up! That's about all I have planned for certain right now.

There is so much to do and see in that area...usually folks like to go off on their own on Sat...there is Moraine St Park and lake access right on the campground property.... so don't be shy and come on out and meet the group! We'll be waiting for you!! Message me if you need additional info!!!

dieselsweetheart

Hey y'all... I'm out in Pgh for the w/e and took a ride up to the campground...met the owner Todd...wow...it's a nice place.... I'm glad I went to see it. Nice pool! Game room with arcades and pool tables...big field for b-ball... and not a skeeter in site! Todd says he never has to use bug spray there..."must be the bats" he said, and then laughed. He's probably right.

The sites we are in are double sites turned into 1 pull in site because he is aware of how much bigger the rigs are being made so the smaller sites just don't work anymore. There are some issues with tree limbs...but he is going to go around and trim for us. I need to email him when I get home tomorrow exactly which sites need the haircut...of course ours is one. The sites are staircased up the hill but all seem ample width-wise and people were out at their picnic tables and seemed comfy enough. Nice store...nice office...

The area for our potluck will seem a little on the small side compared to what we are used to, but we'll make do. At least we can have the place as long as we need it...not like last year when we had to have our potluck between activities... there are ample electric outlets for all the crockpots...we will be fine...

I feel much better having seen it first hand. It's a nice family run CG and it's clean!!

John and Patty I told Todd you'd probably be the first to arrive on Friday...so they will have staff be ready for us all and show us the best way to get into our sites.

We will unhook and move our vehicles onto the ball field until everyone gets in...then we can pull our trucks behind our rigs. Makes it easier for everyone to get in without our trucks in the way.

Check-in is NOON. I asked him about the 4p and he said NO PROBLEM for us to be in by noon. Having said that, everyone should shoot for noon because the place really doesn't have anywhere to "wait" till the person on the site ahead of us gets off the site.

But we are good to show up at noon.

Any questions? Remember to get your donations for the food pantry!! Todd is very excited to have our group stay with them...he was introducing me to everybody on staff! Nice guy...and I think he'll do anything we need him to do to ensure we have a great stay.

They have boats and canoes for rent too...so if you want to do that on the lake...that is available. Also taking bikes over to a bike trail that is all macadamed sp?... we would have to drive to the trail but if you are bringing bikes you can put your bike rack on your truck and go over....the trail sounds really nice and is a nice distance to ride on...

I'll be in touch!!

Thanks!!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Cheryl,

Do you think there will be any problems if we arrive around 3 - 3:30?

Status
Not open for further replies.